Use this banner to inform customers about special features for your products, or various promotions like free shipping.
2 cups of harina pan
1.5 tspn salt
1 tspn sugar (yes, sugar)
1. Wash your hands thoroughly - making an arepas is an intimate process.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, add harina pan, salt, sugar, and 1 tbspn vegetable oil. Add 1cup of lukewarm water and start to mix all ingredients together with your hands until there are no lumps left and you have a manageable dough-like mixture. Keep adding water as needed. Your dough should not be watery.
3. Heat a thin layer of vegetable oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Wet your hands and grab a handful of your dough. Massage into a half inch-thick, disc-like shape. Place in pan and listen for the sizzle!
4. Flip every 5 minutes for 20 minutes. Your arepas should be nice and golden on each side. Remove from pan and place on paper towels to soak up the grease.
5. Serve and enjoy! I typically split them open (drooling while I watch the steam escape), spread butter on each side, and add my favorite queso blanco.